closed captions added to XXX set
weary flake
2014-08-11 16:14:30 UTC
The XXX set of episodes with Black Scorpion that
just came out has added a new feature of closed captions,
I've not seen that before on anything MST. It should have
been Subtitles instead of CC but anyway, it's better than
nothing, for some, but not me as I use the CC/subtitles
option to transribe the poor diction of a lot of TV shows
and movies, but the MST3K stuff has always had good
enunciation, and the CC is partial and does not bother with
the stuff that's actually or not possible to hear like with
the phrases of bad speech on the original movie or when
the guys are yaking over the actors speech.

The set includes The Projected Man, which has "adult humor"
in it, so perhaps is why it was selected for the "XXX" set,
to suggest it's not family friendly.
Chris "Sampo" Cornell
2014-08-12 09:08:49 UTC
Post by weary flake
The XXX set of episodes with Black Scorpion that
just came out has added a new feature of closed captions,
I've not seen that before on anything MST. It should have
been Subtitles instead of CC but anyway, it's better than
nothing, for some, but not me as I use the CC/subtitles
option to transribe the poor diction of a lot of TV shows
and movies, but the MST3K stuff has always had good
enunciation, and the CC is partial and does not bother with
the stuff that's actually or not possible to hear like with
the phrases of bad speech on the original movie or when
the guys are yaking over the actors speech.
The set includes The Projected Man, which has "adult humor"
in it, so perhaps is why it was selected for the "XXX" set,
to suggest it's not family friendly.
Interesting. MST3K: The Movie was CC'd on DVD (but they were removed on
the Blu-Ray!!) and recently several eps that were on Netflix had CC. So
it's happened before and it's more awesomeness from Shout.

Sampo (100% CC or bust!)
weary flake
2014-08-13 15:43:47 UTC
Post by Chris "Sampo" Cornell
Post by weary flake
The XXX set of episodes with Black Scorpion that
just came out has added a new feature of closed captions,
I've not seen that before on anything MST. It should have
been Subtitles instead of CC but anyway, it's better than
nothing, for some, but not me as I use the CC/subtitles
option to transribe the poor diction of a lot of TV shows
and movies, but the MST3K stuff has always had good
enunciation, and the CC is partial and does not bother with
the stuff that's actually or not possible to hear like with
the phrases of bad speech on the original movie or when
the guys are yaking over the actors speech.
The set includes The Projected Man, which has "adult humor"
in it, so perhaps is why it was selected for the "XXX" set,
to suggest it's not family friendly.
Interesting. MST3K: The Movie was CC'd on DVD
Oh yeah, the DVD of The Movie is subtitled, I forgot about that.
Sampo (100% CC or bust!)
Andrew Morris
2014-11-16 16:12:25 UTC
Post by Chris "Sampo" Cornell
Post by weary flake
The XXX set of episodes with Black Scorpion that
just came out has added a new feature of closed captions,
I've not seen that before on anything MST. It should have
been Subtitles instead of CC but anyway, it's better than
nothing, for some, but not me as I use the CC/subtitles
option to transribe the poor diction of a lot of TV shows
and movies, but the MST3K stuff has always had good
enunciation, and the CC is partial and does not bother with
the stuff that's actually or not possible to hear like with
the phrases of bad speech on the original movie or when
the guys are yaking over the actors speech. ...
Interesting. MST3K: The Movie was CC'd on DVD (but they were removed on
the Blu-Ray!!) and recently several eps that were on Netflix had CC. So
it's happened before and it's more awesomeness from Shout.
It might actually just be Netflix obeying the law. If I read it
correctly, there are new FCC rules coming out that say that anything
that was previously broadcast more traditionally has to be captioned
when it goes out on an Internet stream. Whether that strictly applies
to MST3K, I don't know, but probably so.

Once it's been captioned for Internet streaming, it's probably harder
to purge the captions than to just leave them in (as subtitles) when
it's time to go to DVD. So, they go there, too. I wouldn't be at all
surprised to see this coming up more and more over time.
--
Andrew "Retro-Man" Morris
***@gmail.com
SubBot
2016-02-11 21:33:22 UTC
Post by weary flake
The XXX set of episodes with Black Scorpion that
just came out has added a new feature of closed captions,
I've not seen that before on anything MST. It should have
been Subtitles instead of CC but anyway, it's better than
nothing, for some, but not me as I use the CC/subtitles
option to transribe the poor diction of a lot of TV shows
and movies, but the MST3K stuff has always had good
enunciation, and the CC is partial and does not bother with
the stuff that's actually or not possible to hear like with
the phrases of bad speech on the original movie or when
the guys are yaking over the actors speech.
The set includes The Projected Man, which has "adult humor"
in it, so perhaps is why it was selected for the "XXX" set,
to suggest it's not family friendly.
Check out the MST3k Caption Project on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MST3kCaptions

SubBot
2016-02-11 21:35:03 UTC
Post by weary flake
The XXX set of episodes with Black Scorpion that
just came out has added a new feature of closed captions,
I've not seen that before on anything MST. It should have
been Subtitles instead of CC but anyway, it's better than
nothing, for some, but not me as I use the CC/subtitles
option to transribe the poor diction of a lot of TV shows
and movies, but the MST3K stuff has always had good
enunciation, and the CC is partial and does not bother with
the stuff that's actually or not possible to hear like with
the phrases of bad speech on the original movie or when
the guys are yaking over the actors speech.
The set includes The Projected Man, which has "adult humor"
in it, so perhaps is why it was selected for the "XXX" set,
to suggest it's not family friendly.
Not sure if my previous post made it...

Check out the MST3k Captions Project on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MST3kCaptions