Remember when SyFy was still Sci-Fi?
TMC
2012-02-21 02:39:33 UTC
http://realwrestlecrap.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=display&thread=415030

As I observe the status of the SyFy channel today, including WWE
programming, I find myself yearning for the good old days. I remember
quite well the series of creepy, atmospheric ads from my childhood
that declared "its coming," advertising the impending launch of the
Sci-Fi Channel. As a lifelong fantasy and science fiction geek I was
more than interested, but my parents had little desire to pay the
extra money to get it. But AH!, in the mid 90's our basic cable
package got an upgrade, and we automatically got a number of new
channels, including Sci-Fi-how thrilled I was! I still remember fondly
my days in jr. high, before real world things like jobs and cars were
a factor, when I would spend my afternoons watching Dark Shadows
reruns.

Perhaps my fondest memory was the first anime-marathon they ever did
one summer when I was in high school; it was hosted by some hot,
blonde chick in a skintight outfit, and it was really my first
introduction to anime as a unique art style-I quickly became hooked.
And I especially remember the weird and creepy bumpers that they used
to run between programming; I recall one that featured a strange,
clock-like contraption with a staring eye and electric sparks coming
out of it, and another that had a clock turning into a demonic looking
monster.

Sadly, the network has just gone so far downhill for me. It really all
started when they began doing original programming and movies-don't
get me wrong, I loved the first season of Farscape and a few other
shows they came up with, but for the most part it seems they have just
gotten so utterly gratuitous about it. Anymore it feels as if they
ever show is one of a dozen different incarnations of Stargate, Ghost
Hunters, and WWE. And I will say for a fact that none was sadder than
I when they decided to officially break from the past and rename the
network SyFy-and yes, for a while I did think it was now meant to be
pronounced "siffy." Whatever happened to Night Gallery, Swamp Thing,
the original Stark Trek, and The Night Stalker? Where did my random,
out of nowhere bizarro movies go? When did science fiction become
reality TV? Oh days of my youth, where art thou!
Duggy
2012-02-21 06:20:38 UTC
Surely this is in the FAQ.

===
= DUG.
===
Daniel47@teranews.com
2012-02-21 11:12:55 UTC
TMC wrote:

<Snip>
Post by TMC
The Night Stalker?
Was this a series I sort of remember, about a hard working newspaper
reporter who always go the unusual story about weirdo monsters which he
defeated but rarely got a newspaper story he could use?? Starred Darren
?????.

Those were the days!

Daniel
Jerry Heyman
2012-02-21 22:45:18 UTC
Post by ***@teranews.com
<Snip>
Post by TMC
The Night Stalker?
Was this a series I sort of remember, about a hard working newspaper
reporter who always go the unusual story about weirdo monsters which he
defeated but rarely got a newspaper story he could use?? Starred Darren
?????.
Kolchak: The Night Stalker

Darren McGavin starred as the newspaper reporter

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071003/

Chris Carter (X-Files) said that Kolchak: the night stalker was his
inspiration in creating the X-Files.
Post by ***@teranews.com
Those were the days!
Daniel
jerry
--
// Jerry Heyman | "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep
// Amigan Forever :-) | voting on what to do for dinner.
\X/ http://www.hobbeshollow.com | contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin
MRDIGGS00
2012-02-21 17:27:05 UTC
[...]
I agree. This channel has just gone down hill. Not even close to what
it used to be. Thats why I"ve always said they should have a SYFY 2,
which shows more of the original programming.
Dano
2012-02-21 19:18:49 UTC
"MRDIGGS00" wrote in message news:de18c965-0f16-43ff-8453-***@gr6g2000vbb.googlegroups.com...

I agree. This channel has just gone down hill. Not even close to what
it used to be. Thats why I"ve always said they should have a SYFY 2,
which shows more of the original programming.

Yeah. You tell 'em! Let's get back to that "Golden Age" of the Sci-Fi
Network. :/
Sci-Fi...SyFy...or SissY ???
2012-02-20 22:07:48 UTC
Post by TMC
[...]
Sci-Fi...SyFy...or SissY, as I call it now, went the route of MTV.

MTV was GOD when it first started. It LED the music industry, CREATED
music videos going mainstream, ran by the seat of its pants and a "I
don't give a fuck" attitude that kept it fresh, hip, new, relevant.

Then MTV decided it had an addicted audience and you can't run
advertising in the middle of a music video. (product placement?)

So MTV created VH1 to play music and MTV became boring reality
horseshit where grubworm teens can pick up their latest life strategy
or phrase or hostile act to show everyone at school.

In the same manner, SissY is about wrestling, ghosts, BBC reruns.

It is too cool for nerds now...well it's for nerds who don't think
they are nerds.
MITO MINISTER
2012-03-20 12:46:45 UTC
[...]
You grew up in the 90s? What a friggin' douchebag! The 60s were the
glory days of science-fiction!
Jerry Heyman
2012-03-20 21:39:52 UTC
... [ reminiscing about 1990s scifi deleted for brevity ] ...
Post by MITO MINISTER
You grew up in the 90s? What a friggin' douchebag! The 60s were the
glory days of science-fiction!
Irwin Allen!

- Time Tunnel
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
- Lost in Space
- Land of the Giants

also

- Star Trek

and possibly UFO (need to check imdb on that)

jerry
--
// Jerry Heyman | "Three types of people spend other
// Amigan Forever :-) | peoples money: Children, criminals,
\X/ http://www.hobbeshollow.com | adult supervision" - Dick Armey
Ashton Crusher
2015-10-11 01:54:54 UTC
Post by TMC
[...]
Almost every new SF show is really just a recycled western or recycled
police procedural with some little SF nonsense thrown in to make it
easy to find the bad guy and solve the murder.

I just finished reading Solow and Justman's book and they relate how
the first thinking for the premise was "wagon train in space" but they
quickly realized that was entirely wrong for what they wanted to do.
Unfortunately, Wagon Train/Police story in space is almost all we get
these days.