Oi! (possibly Oy?)
Doug Elrod
2005-07-11 18:57:38 UTC
Hi - I forget the name of this episode - the one thing I remember is
there's
a British/Australian guy in it and _every_ time he's on screen one of the
guys yell "Oi!". Anyone know the name?
Thanks, Dave K
Sounds like "Alien from L.A."--episode 516.
Sampo
I hate to disagree with the great Sampo, but I think he's thinking of Space
Mutiny ep 820
Yes, this ought to be in a FAQ (is it? :-)). Commander Jansen's
second-in-command, Scott Devers (played by Graham Clark), looked a lot
like "Jacko", whose Energizer battery commercials were punctuated by him
saying "Oi!". See <http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0413823/bio>.

-Doug Elrod (***@cornell.edu)
P.S. I personally liked the way they had him respond to other people
talking by saying "Oi" in various ways (questioning: "Oi?",
affirming: "Oi!" etc.). Simply brilliant, IMHO.
starling
2005-07-13 03:18:19 UTC
Post by Doug Elrod
Hi - I forget the name of this episode - the one thing I remember is
there's
a British/Australian guy in it and _every_ time he's on screen one of the
guys yell "Oi!".
[snip]
Post by Doug Elrod
I hate to disagree with the great Sampo, but I think he's thinking of Space
Mutiny ep 820
There is, of course, Mr. "You know, in Australia my voice is as annoying as
yours!" in 516, so...
Post by Doug Elrod
Yes, this ought to be in a FAQ (is it? :-)). Commander Jansen's
second-in-command, Scott Devers (played by Graham Clark), looked a lot
like "Jacko", whose Energizer battery commercials were punctuated by him
saying "Oi!". See <http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0413823/bio>.
Also, from http://community-2.webtv.net/samuraishawn/820SpaceMutiny/ :

" Whenever the guy with the spikey blond hair is on screen, M&TB's often
throw out an "Oi!" or a "Too Right!". This riff refers to Australian soccer
player Mark Jackson, AKA "Jacko". Before the "Bunny" it was Jacko hawking
Energizer batteries. The spots had him stomping around, rapping, "What's the
longest lasting batt'ry in the world?" and finishing the bit with a
resounding, "Oi!" - Jacko apparently freaked people out and the adds quickly
disappeared, but I found them wonderfully bizarre. "

starling
--
* woods keep you, stars hold you, waters bear you *
*** mstie #31731 ** hogmenaye! ** enchanted be! ***
bathroom spoils that whole illusion.
Dr. Zontar
2005-07-13 12:12:22 UTC
Post by starling
Jacko apparently freaked people out and the adds quickly
disappeared, but I found them wonderfully bizarre.
They were memorable, almost to the point of cruelty. To this day I can
still hear Jacko in my head, saying, "It'll surprise ya, the Energiza.
Oi!".

- Dr. Zontar (www.freewebs.com/drzontar)
Andrew Morris
2015-08-16 00:41:51 UTC
To crib a line, GEEEEEEZUS. It's amazing what you find when you trawl
Post by Doug Elrod
Hi - I forget the name of this episode - the one thing I remember is
there's
a British/Australian guy in it and _every_ time he's on screen one of the
guys yell "Oi!". Anyone know the name?
Thanks, Dave K
Sounds like "Alien from L.A."--episode 516.
Sampo
I hate to disagree with the great Sampo, but I think he's thinking of Space
Mutiny ep 820
Yes, this ought to be in a FAQ (is it? :-)). Commander Jansen's
second-in-command, Scott Devers (played by Graham Clark), looked a lot
like "Jacko", whose Energizer battery commercials were punctuated by him
saying "Oi!". See <http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0413823/bio>.
Weirdly enough, this riff survived on long enough to make it into the
Rifftrax for "Rock 'n Roll Nightmare," in reference to another faux
Australian.

I am astonished, though not terribly, to find that the answer to just
what "battery commercial" the guys were referencing showed up here
about 10 years ago.
--
Andrew "Retro-Man" Morris
***@gmail.com