Prepare for the Balsamapocalypse! Or, Brave New World, that has Balsamic Ketchup in it!
Doug Elrod
2011-10-27 19:18:11 UTC
I believe there are some condiment users and/or lovers here. I guess
it was just a matter of time before someone had the idea to replace
the ordinary vinegar in ketchup with BALSAMIC VINEGAR
(see <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/business/media/ketchup-moves-
upmarket-with-a-balsamic-tinge.html>
aka <http://preview.tinyurl.com/3f5f87q).

Does anyone have any idea how this would taste?

-Doug Elrod (***@cornell.edu)
"Waffles are no more than a vehicle for butter and syrup!" -Dr.
Clayton Forrester
Judith
2011-10-28 14:24:44 UTC
In article
Post by Doug Elrod
I believe there are some condiment users and/or lovers here. I guess
it was just a matter of time before someone had the idea to replace
the ordinary vinegar in ketchup with BALSAMIC VINEGAR
(see <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/business/media/ketchup-moves-
upmarket-with-a-balsamic-tinge.html>
aka <http://preview.tinyurl.com/3f5f87q).
Does anyone have any idea how this would taste?
"Waffles are no more than a vehicle for butter and syrup!" -Dr.
Clayton Forrester
Basically it sounds like a good idea - balsamic vinegar is more pungent
than regular vinegar and would combine well with a thick tomato ketchup.
It's great in a salad dressing with olive oil (the vinegar, not the
ketchup). This ketchup is probably watered down and anemic, though, on
a hamburger sandwich with french fried potatoes.

Judith
--
Let's go out dancing. You put on your black dress and I'll shave my tongue.
-Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Doug Elrod
2011-10-31 22:50:54 UTC
Post by Judith
In article
I believe there are some condiment users and/or lovers here.  I guess
it was just a matter of time before someone had the idea to replace
the ordinary vinegar in ketchup with BALSAMIC VINEGAR
(see <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/business/media/ketchup-moves-
upmarket-with-a-balsamic-tinge.html>
aka <http://preview.tinyurl.com/3f5f87q).
Does anyone have any idea how this would taste?
 "Waffles are no more than a vehicle for butter and syrup!" -Dr.
Clayton Forrester
Basically it sounds like a good idea - balsamic vinegar is more pungent
than regular vinegar and would combine well with a thick tomato ketchup.
It's great in a salad dressing with olive oil (the vinegar, not the
ketchup).  This ketchup is probably watered down and anemic, though, on
a hamburger sandwich with french fried potatoes.
So, it's probably *low* on the "Makes you want to Blame Your Parents"
scale? I just wonder if every condiment has a unique BYP value!
BTW, I recently saw a child Halloween costume that was a KETCHUP
PACKET! (see
<http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11912898>, warning
for those allergic to EXTREME CUTENESS! :-))
If only Big Rob were here to see it....

-Doug Elrod (***@cornell.edu)
Or Martin Balsam!
Judith
2011-11-01 13:39:34 UTC
In article
Post by Doug Elrod
Post by Judith
In article
[...]
:-)

Older ratmm-ers will recall (maybe they won't, if they're *too* old)
that years ago there was a thread here devoted to condiments. Many
people weighed in, with passionate views on mayo, ketchup, etc., but one
member, I forget his name, wrote long diatribes, over several years and
several threads, against mayonnaise (mayoNAISE). I wonder what he
thinks of the new fancy-shmancy ketchup?

Judith
--
Let's go out dancing. You put on your black dress and I'll shave my tongue.
-Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Doug Elrod
2011-11-02 22:21:35 UTC
Post by Judith
Older ratmm-ers will recall (maybe they won't, if they're *too* old)
that years ago there was a thread here devoted to condiments.  Many
people weighed in, with passionate views on mayo, ketchup, etc., but one
member, I forget his name, wrote long diatribes, over several years and
several threads, against mayonnaise (mayoNAISE).  I wonder what he
thinks of the new fancy-shmancy ketchup?
Ah, I guess that wouldn't have been OSCAR WINNER LOUIS GOSSETT, JR,
would it?

But, truly, condiments are a crucial part of culture. In fact, I can
foresee a day when we think of their creation as inflection points as
significant as that of automobiles or computers. Consider, for
instance, *****MIRACLE WHIP*****! Can you imagine the primitive
"spreads" people put on their sandwiches before this product was
created? Difficult, isn't it? Any time travelers would have to take
care, just in case they landed in the BMW epoch! ;-)

-Doug Elrod (***@cornell.edu)
This BK era, with its new mores.... HOW WILL CIVILIZATION ADJUST?
(It's the kind of thing that perhaps only an Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
could explain!)
Judith
2011-11-05 23:43:26 UTC
In article
Post by Doug Elrod
Post by Judith
[...]
So are you saying that balsamic vinegar ketchup is the new Miracle Whip?
And did those in the dawn of the AMW epoch say "Hellman, Schmellman!"?

Oh brave new world, that has these condiments in it!

Judith
--
The dog's had four bones already. Three of them are mine.
-Henry Crun
Doug Elrod
2011-11-07 21:55:04 UTC
Post by Judith
So are you saying that balsamic vinegar ketchup is the new Miracle Whip?
I think, in the far distant future (perhaps the year 2525, if man is
still alive!), someone will realize that mayonnaise, and, yes, Miracle
Whip itself, contain VINEGAR. Only the advanced humanoids of that
day, however, will be ready to substitute BALSAMIC VINEGAR into the
recipes for these products, though!
Post by Judith
And did those in the dawn of the AMW epoch say "Hellman,  Schmellman!"?
I believe that was an essential part of the original, mystical origins
of MW! (It's the part of Merlin's book in M.S.o.M.W. that we didn't
get to see! ;-)).
Post by Judith
Oh brave new world, that has these condiments in it!
One would have to be brave, to try some of them ;-)

-Doug Elrod (***@cornell.edu)
pondering if William Shakespeare foresaw this day. Hmmm....
Judith
2011-11-07 22:16:31 UTC
In article
Post by Doug Elrod
Post by Judith
So are you saying that balsamic vinegar ketchup is the new Miracle Whip?
I think, in the far distant future (perhaps the year 2525, if man is
still alive!), someone will realize that mayonnaise, and, yes, Miracle
Whip itself, contain VINEGAR. Only the advanced humanoids of that
day, however, will be ready to substitute BALSAMIC VINEGAR into the
recipes for these products, though!
The mind boggles! And the stomach churns!
Post by Doug Elrod
Post by Judith
And did those in the dawn of the AMW epoch say "Hellman,  Schmellman!"?
I believe that was an essential part of the original, mystical origins
of MW! (It's the part of Merlin's book in M.S.o.M.W. that we didn't
get to see! ;-)).
Or, to mix mysticisms, it happend during the Dawn of the First Age of
Condiments (FAOC).
Post by Doug Elrod
Post by Judith
Oh brave new world, that has these condiments in it!
One would have to be brave, to try some of them ;-)
Yes, and only time will tell if they're still around for the coming of
the Second Age (SAOC) (when the great condiment war will come upon us
all. Can you tell I'm re-watching B5?). Mayo, being French, is
immortal. MW, of hardy American stock, I know has existed for over 60
years. But whither that upstart balsamic ketchup????
-Henry Crun
Doug Elrod
2011-11-11 22:35:11 UTC
Post by Judith
Yes, and only time will tell if they're still around for the coming of
the Second Age (SAOC) (when the great condiment war will come upon us
all.  Can you tell I'm re-watching B5?).  Mayo, being French, is
immortal.  MW, of hardy American stock, I know has existed for over 60
years.  But whither that upstart balsamic ketchup????
Ah, I believe the First Great Condiment War was called...
SUPER SLOPPY DOUBLE DARE! ;-)

-Doug Elrod (***@cornell.edu)
So, Virginia Mayo is French, and therefore immortal? (thud)
Doug Elrod
2013-07-05 19:03:46 UTC
Post by Doug Elrod
I think, in the far distant future (perhaps the year 2525, if man is
still alive!), someone will realize that mayonnaise, and, yes, Miracle
Whip itself, contain VINEGAR. Only the advanced humanoids of that
day, however, will be ready to substitute BALSAMIC VINEGAR into the
recipes for these products, though!
See
http://www.hellmanns.com/product/detail/428771/creamy-balsamic-mayonnaise-dressing
aka
http://preview.tinyurl.com/jw9rqjc

-Doug Elrod (***@cornell.edu)
What next, DOGS and CATS living together? ;-)

Paul Duca (tomservo56954@comcast.net)
2011-12-18 01:59:24 UTC
I believe there are some condiment users and/or lovers here.  I guess
it was just a matter of time before someone had the idea to replace
the ordinary vinegar in ketchup with BALSAMIC VINEGAR
(see <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/business/media/ketchup-moves-
upmarket-with-a-balsamic-tinge.html>
aka <http://preview.tinyurl.com/3f5f87q).
Does anyone have any idea how this would taste?
 "Waffles are no more than a vehicle for butter and syrup!" -Dr.
Clayton Forrester
I once used a ketchup that had burgandy wine added too it...a sister
condiment to Dijon mustard. It had a more complex taste than regular
ketchup.

Paul Duca--the Supercharged MSTie
#56954

"I don't think I would make a very inspiring disabled person"
Judith
2011-12-18 22:16:53 UTC
In article
Post by Paul Duca (***@comcast.net)
I believe there are some condiment users and/or lovers here.  I guess
it was just a matter of time before someone had the idea to replace
the ordinary vinegar in ketchup with BALSAMIC VINEGAR
(see <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/business/media/ketchup-moves-
upmarket-with-a-balsamic-tinge.html>
aka <http://preview.tinyurl.com/3f5f87q).
Does anyone have any idea how this would taste?
 "Waffles are no more than a vehicle for butter and syrup!" -Dr.
Clayton Forrester
I once used a ketchup that had burgandy wine added too it...a sister
condiment to Dijon mustard. It had a more complex taste than regular
ketchup.
But...was it BOLD?

(*Someone* had to say it.)

Judith
--
You're not Welsh unless you have a prehensile tongue.
-Roger of Wales